I received this beautiful jewelry armoire a few years back (was my husbands grandmothers) and have been wanting to completely overhaul it – which I did over the course of 6 weeks. I had a bit of time off for the holidays, so between all of the holiday craziness I squeezed in some time for my first furniture redo! I basically took apart the entire piece and refinished everything—from the wood to the upholstery, to the hardware. Yeah, I’m crazy. Looking back, this was A LOT of work, but well worth it in the end. I love my “new” armoire!
Here’s the before and after – all closed up. It came to me with scratches and dings on the lovely brown stained finish, brass hardware and a pink velvet interior. My vision was a white painted armoire with oil rub bronze hardware, and fun pops of color for the nine drawers and two side panels.
Below are some images “before” the redo!
First step was to take apart the armoire – hardware first. This was by far the easiest step. Plus, who doesn’t love spray painting? Once I had all the knobs, hinges, screws, pulls and magnetic closures off, I separated them in to groups and began priming. We already had Rustoleum primer in the house, so I used that as the base coat. It was grey, but didn’t matter as it would be sprayed over with Rustoleum paint in metallic oil rubbed bronze. This stuff works great and gave me exactly the look I wanted! I did two coats of the paint, letting the first dry thoroughly before the second.
Next came demo of the drawer liners. Ripped those babies out, but was careful not to shred to pieces, as I needed the templates to make new ones.
I purchased my fabric material at JoAnns – they have the best selection by far. For the drawers, I wanted something that had a little texture or “stick” to it, so my jewelry would not slide upon opening the drawers. I found some really pretty corduroy in grey and teal (which also had silver flecks in it). Then matched that up to a neat cotton fabric which in included both colors and an apricot accent color in the pattern. A yard of each color worked out perfect!
I used Mod Podge and a cheapo 2″ foam brush to do all the gluing. I already had the glue at home and it happened to be gloss finish- doesn’t matter as it’s under all the fabric.
Next came the time consuming part: Tracing and cutting new templates from a heavy card stock, then gluing/wrapping them with the fabric. Obviously, I was smarter with my cutting (shown below this piece is smack dab in the middle of the sheet). I measured and maximized all of my paper so I had the least amount of scrap.
As for the wooden drawer dividers – these too were covered with the pink velvet material, and the easiest thing to do was simply wrap the new fabric over the old.
I used the same template process for everything, including the side panels where my longer necklaces would go. Once I had all the new liners cut and covered with fabric and my drawers were painted white, I glued them inside (bottom first, then sides/front/back) using Mod Podge.
Next came the furniture itself. I started out by sanding the entire thing with a 150 grit sanding block. Once I had the shiny gloss gone, I wiped down the armoire with a damp cloth and let dry.
I primed the whole thing (drawers included) with 2 coats of Rustoleum spray primer in white, letting the first dry before the second coat. Then, painted (with brush and rollers) the whole thing with a coat of Behr Premium Plus in Ultra Pure White. We had a can of this already in the house so happy not to have to buy more paint!
And, the finished piece – completely painted, hardware reinstalled and new fabric in the drawers and sides. You’ll notice I did swap out the original tear-drop shaped handles on the sides for circular knobs (only because they broke off the first time I attempted to unscrew them – oops).
So pretty, I love it! The hinged top and 3 large bottom drawers were lined in teal, and the remaining 5 top drawers were lined in grey. All of the dividers were done in the patterned fabric so the whole piece is tied together.
And, another look at the “before” and “after!